Zapier: Run a notification on Slack channel for an event in the hub
In this article, we will go through the steps required to set up Slack notifications for events in your hub. You can set up a Slack notification for any Event Types that are listed here or by going to Settings > Scoring & Achievements > Event Types in the AdvocateHub.
As a pre-requisite, you will need to have a Zapier account in order to begin this process. There are options to set up a free Zapier account for testing purposes.
You should also be logged into the hub (preferably as an advocate using a test account) or as an admin ready to quickly trigger the event for which you wish to receive a notification e.g. Posted a topic.
In this particular example, we will set up Zapier to run a notification on a specific channel in Slack when a new member completes an onboarding challenge.
Go to Zapier homepage and Create a Zap:
Step 1: Trigger > Webhooks by Zapier
- Event: catch hook.
- Copy the webhook URL.
- Go to Influitive webhooks settings.
- Add a webhook and fill in the data:
- Add name.
- Add webhook URL you copied.
- Format: JSON.
- Type: Event.
- Select the event from the list “Completed Challenge”.
- Go back to Zapier and test the trigger (log the event on Influitive and check Zapier if the request is received) and if all is good, continue.
Step 2: Action > Set an action to filter for the challenge id
As per this Zapier article.
- Action > Filter by Zapier.
- Only continue if ... Challenge id <> Exactly matches <> Onboarding challenge UUID.
- Test this out by completing the challenge you specified and seeing if the event is triggered.
Step 3: Action > Set an action to send a notification to Slack
- Select “Slack” from apps list.
- Event: Send Channel Message.
- Choose account: connect Slack.
- Set up an action:
- Channel: Select the channel you want.
- Message text: add the text message you want to post on the channel when the event is triggered.
- The rest are optional fields you can enable and disable, whichever you want.
- You can now test the full flow and see if it works.
- Save as a draft or publish your Zap and turn it on.
You can refer to the following recording for details. http://recordit.co/jJn993SXj7