Marketo: Advance Referrals In The Hub Using Marketo
This article will cover:
- Enable Influitive API Integration
- Authorize your Referrals 2.0 with Marketo
- Choose which fields from your Influitive referrals you want to map to your Marketo Leads
- Configure the Influitive Referral Milestones you want to be advanced by Marketo
- Creating your webhook in Marketo
- Creating your Smart Campaign in Marketo
- Testing your setup
- For each Referral created in Influitive, a corresponding Lead will be created in your instance of Marketo.
- Every Marketo Lead that corresponds to an Influitive referral will be populated with a unique "Referral_ID". This Referral_ID allows Influitive to know which Marketo Leads are Influitive Referrals, and who referred them.
- Using a webhook in Marketo, you can send a message to our Influitive API to alert Influitive whenever a Referral has progressed to a new Milestone. Influitive will then update the referral in Influitive, and award points and notify the referrer accordingly.
2. Enable the Influitive API Integration
You first need to enable the Influitive API integration to allow Referrals 2.0 to integrate with your Marketo instance.
1. Log in to Influitive, and click on the cog wheel in the top right corner of the Admin View, then click Integrations.
2. Find the Influitive API integration item and click Manage.
4.Click the Setup tab. This will reveal your Authorization Token and X_ORG_ID. Make note of these values, as you will need them later in this tutorial for creating your webhook in Marketo.
3. Authorize your Referrals 2.0 with Marketo
4. Choose which fields from your Influitive referrals you want to map to your Marketo Leads
When a referral is submitted from Influitive it will create a new lead if no other lead with that email address exists in Marketo, in addition to updating the campaign.
Mapping fields is how the data from Influitive will be translated to the lead in Marketo. Click the + Add Mapping button at the bottom if you want to add a mapping. To remove a mapping, click the x to the left side of the mapping.
Note: You must have a mapping to the following Lead - Email Marketo Fields in order for the mapping to save.
Below is a basic sample mapping:
The nomenclature on the Influitive Field section is as follows:
Prospect - The referral
Contact - The referrer (the person who submitted the referral)
Referral - The Influitive Referral Campaign
CRM - If you see this section, it can be ignored and is for internal purposes only.
For the Prospect, you can choose in the Influitive Field column any of the fields you collected in the form on your referral campaign. The name that appears in this section will be the same as the label on the form. If you don't see a field and would like it to appear, make sure you create that field on the form in your referral campaign.
For the Contact, you can choose from Name, Title, Email, and Company. These are the standard fields made available by Influitive and cannot be changed.
Note: The Referral - Referral Id field is crucial and must be included in your mappings in order to track the referral throughout the process.
At this point any referrals submitted should be showing in your Marketo lead database.
5. Configure the Influitive Referral Milestones you want to be advanced by Marketo
6. Creating your webhook in Marketo
Note: If you are using an Influitive sandbox hub, your Hub URL likely ends with *.influitivedemo.com. If this is the case, the beginning part of the URL would be: https://api.influitivedemo.com/referrals/. For production instances be sure to change it back to api.influitive.com.
The following part refers to the Marketo field we are sending the referral ID to so just insert your field here between the curly brackets:
The final part of the URL refers to the milestones we configured in point 4 above. Here "qualified" is our API code we set to make the referral but yours would be whatever you chose to call your API code:
For example, if you used "Advanced" then this part of the URL would read:
Next we have to set the custom header for the webhook. To do this, we click Webhook Actions > Set Custom Header
You can find your unique Authorization and X_ORG_ID token in Section 2 of this article. Once you have entered them here and also added the two other Headers and their Values exactly as in the above, click Save.
7. Creating your Smart Campaign in Marketo
8. Testing Your Setup
And there we have it! You can now have your referrals advanced automatically in the hub depending on their status in Marketo.