Inserting Images into your Challenges
It's always a good idea to add images to all of the challenges in your hub. This is super easy to do, and this article will walk you through the steps!
Before we get started, choose an image you want to add to your challenge. Our guidelines for Banner Images are the following:
- Supported File Types: jpg, png, and gif
- Recommended Dimensions: 800 x 450
- Maximum file size: 5MB
Your challenge will look its best with an image that is wider than it is tall due to the formatting of the challenge pop-up. Keep in mind, we give you the following options to add an image to a challenge:
- Your computer
- The web
- Link (URL)
- Google Drive
Here's what this article will cover:
- Adding a Primary Image to your Challenge
- Adding Additional Images inside your Challenge
- How Images are Displayed in Online Action Stages
Adding a Primary Image to your Challenge
1. Begin designing your awesomely creative challenge. Then, when you're ready, click on Choose Image and choose from one of the options listed above to add an image.
2. Next, be sure to crop and adjust the image to make sure it fits the challenge card just right. To do so, click on Crop Image.
3. The cropping tool will allow you to move and resize the image until you get it to span the full challenge card, which we highly recommend!
Note the difference between the challenge card preview above, and the preview below after it has been cropped:
4. When you're happy with your challenge, just click to Publish it!
Adding Additional Images inside your Challenge
If you'd like to add an additional image into one of the stages of your challenge (besides the banner image), you can use Markdown.
First, you will need to place your image to an image hosting platform so that you can get the image URL. One suggestion here is to use imgur.com ( https://imgur.com/upload) to host your image and obtain the URL.
Another suggestion is to upload the image to a blank challenge banner and click on the image to obtain the URL link. Here's how:
- Download the image to your computer.
- Go to the Hub and create a blank template challenge. (Note: we will not publish the challenge, this will only be used to get a secure file link for the image).
- Upload the image as the Banner Image.
- Right-click on the banner image that has just been uploaded and right click on your mouse and choose "Open Image in New Tab"
- Copy the URL link for the image in the new tab (it should be nested under "filepicker.io")
- In the challenge description, insert the image URL along with this Markdown formatting: ![descriptive text here](imageURL.png)
For example, the following text:
Look at these cute kitties!
will look like this in a challenge:
How Images are Displayed in Online Action Stages
AdvocateHub uses a platform known as Embed.ly to pull images from the websites you link to in your challenges. For example, if you are creating a Share a Link challenge, you'll input the link you would like to share and embed.ly will retrieve a selection of images from that page. You'll then be able to cycle through the images and decide which one you'd like to be displayed with the URL and link description.