Zapier: Get An Email Notification For Events In Your Hub
In this article, we will go through the steps required to set up email notifications for events in your hub. You can set up an email notification for any Event Types that are listed here or by going to Settings > Scoring & Achievements > Event Types in the AdvocateHub.
A common example would be receiving an email when an advocate joins your hub or when they advance to a new level.
As a pre-requisite, you will need to have a Zapier account in order to begin this process. There are options to set up a free Zapier account for testing purposes.
You should also be logged into the hub (preferably as an advocate using a test account) or as an admin ready to quickly trigger the event for which you wish to receive a notification e.g. Posted a topic.
1. Go to Zapier, and click on Make a Zap!
2. Choose Webhook for the trigger and select Catch Hook
3. Continue to Test this Step and copy the webhook link
4. Open up a new window/tab and navigate to your AdvocateHub's Webhook configuration page: Settings > System > Webhooks
5. Click on the Add a Webhook button
6. Give your webhook a relevant name
7. In the Webhook Provider URL field, paste the link from Zapier
8. Scroll down to the list of events and check the box beside the event that you wish to be notified about e.g. Advocate Joined
9. Scroll all the way down and click Save
10. Go back to your Zap set up tab/window, and click Okay, I did this. Now you'll see a "Looking for the hook, this might take a sec..." status (seen below)
11. Quickly go back to your hub and trigger the webhook by completing the event that you chose in Step 8 e.g. if you are triggering the "Earned Badge" event, you would need to have a test advocate account to which you can easily award a badge.
12. After triggering the webhook by completing the event, return to your Zapier window and it should be green within a few seconds. This means Zapier picked up the webhook. If it didn't work, try the process again, but move more quickly this time.
13. Hit Continue and go to the next step
14. Now choose the Action which should happen when the event is triggered. You can choose from Gmail, Outlook, Zapier's built in email system, or even Slack.
15. Configure the body of the message however you'd like. You can insert details from the AdvocateHub webhook, such as the name and email address of the advocate who completed the event.
16. Test your set up to see if you receive a message.
17. Click Continue, give it a name, and click Turn Zap On.
..and now you're all set to go!